CLOSED - Call for Entry: PUSH/PULL - Repulsion, Attraction, and the In-between
Updated: Jul 27
The application is now closed. Thank you for your interest. Please feel free to take a look at our current open opportunities.
According to Greek myth, the artist Pygmalion carved a woman from marble, his ideal of feminine beauty, only to fall hopelessly in love with his creation. In contrast, Surrealist Meret Oppenheim’s 1936 sculpture Ma Gouvernante was considered so obscene that a female viewer smashed it to bits while on display in Paris. The idea of the “beautiful” and the “grotesque” are rapidly shifting cultural concepts, though their ability to elicit reactions of pleasure and disgust remains a constant. Artists have the unique opportunity to exemplify, subvert, and redefine these concepts, as well as to play in the fertile ground where these apparent opposites intermix, adding their voices to a dialogue as old as humanity itself.
Juror: Ivy Brenneman
Ivy Brenneman is an Indiana-based, Atlanta born artist specializing in paper media. She enjoys food, sexuality, the absurd, and “being very close to very small, very detailed things.” While she will always be a draftswoman at heart, she is currently pursuing her MFA in Printmaking at Indiana University Bloomington, having received her BA in Visual Arts, German Studies and Creative Writing from Brown University in 2016.
Deadline: July 26th, 2020 at 12 am EDT
Media: Open to all media, limit of 3 files
PLEASE OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING RULES:
1. One submission per artist allowed. Each submission may contain three (3) files. Artists applying as a group may participate in one group submission and one personal submission.
2. Each submission can contain a maximum of (three) 3 files. Image files should be between 1000 and 1920 pixels on the longest side and be JPEG or PNG format. Video and audio submissions should not exceed 1 minute and 100 MB, but can be representative excerpts. Each file should be accompanied by a description of the artwork that includes title, medium, year of creation, and dimensions (if applicable.)
3.By submitting images of your work, you grant permission for IN TOTO Virtual to display your artwork on our exhibition page for a limited time and use it in promotional material. You, the artist, retain the rights to the display and sale of your original artwork.
4. All artwork must be the original creation of the artist, and must not be more than five (5) years old at the time of submission.
5. The email address you provide will considered your primary form of contact. If your work is selected, this address will be used to notify you.
6. This email address will also be added to our mailing list. You may choose to unsubscribe at any time.
To apply, please submit your work here: